Illustrae is software for creating scientific illustrations. Let me hit what might be the most relevant feature of this product for many readers right at the top:
There’s no free version to try.
For that reason, I cannot review the software. I am not able to throw down money for a subscription to try this product right now, not even a temporary subscription. But I wanted to write a post pointing to this product, because it is relevant to this blog’s mission.
The main poster-related feature is the promise of turning an abstract into a poster.
This feature, as far as I can tell, is a generative AI tool. And the rest of the website seems to support this idea, because the illustrations look very much like most other generative AI figures, like the ones that you see all over LinkedIn and other sites. The graphics on the site uniformly feel like generic slop created by generic generative AI tools. So many images against a faded, yellow-ish background.
I cannot say how good a job this does, but if I were testing it, I would be very interested in:
- How similar the results were from different abstracts.
- Whether the results follow the best practices they list on their own site (see below).
- How much tweaking and checking typically needs to be done.
Other features don’t appear to be generative AI, but it is hard to tell. Several screens show libraries elements that remind me of BioRender tools and icons, but the aesthetic is very different to BioRender. BioRender tends towards minimalist icons, but Illustrae images are more visually complex. I wonder if generative AI was used to create those common stock elements?
The site contains two blog posts specifically about posters. One is a guide about the overall design of the poster. This is a decent short summary.
The other is about creating the figures within the poster. This one has some points that are not as well explained. For example, in discussing figure resolution:
As cited, “High-quality figures should have a resolution of at least 300 dpi to ensure clarity and readability.”
It is not clear which of their sources are being cited here. It’s true that 300 dpi is more than enough, but the post doesn't mention that the 300 dpi measure has to factor in the final printed size of the poster, not just what it is on a screen.
Another bit of strangeness in the post comes when it says:
If the text is too small, attendees won’t be able to read your labels or legends from a reasonable distance. Remember, “The title of a poster should be at least 100 pt font size to be readable from a distance.”
But this post is about the individual figures? Why is the poster title being brought up here? I worry that someone will read this and think each individual figure needs a 100 point title, which would not leave much room for anything else.
Both posts do have some useful links out to other resources.
I noted a couple of other things on the website that don’t sit right with me. A bunch of blog posts with have 2025 dates but claim to be “2026 guides.” I’m guessing the title was updated while leaving the content the same search engine optimization.
And let us not forget that to the degree that this is a generative AI tool, there could potentially be issues around intellectual property. The company FAQ notes:
By using the app, you grant us a limited license to store, display, and process your content in order to provide and improve the service. We do not claim ownership of your work, though we reserve the right to feature your images in marketing or educational materials.
I don’t know if “improve our service” might mean, “We use your stuff to train our model.” Other people have found that material uploaded to generative AI services is often not secure, and generative AI can spit that content back. And the company being allowed to feature your images, apparently without your consent, could result in work being released before the researcher wanted it released.
I would also like to see an “About us” section on the website. With all the hype around generative AI, showing the team would generate some good will and trust.
If you have used Illustrae, I would love to hear from you. Email me at BetterPosters at gmail!
External links
What To Include In Conference Poster Figures: Essential Elements and Common Pitfalls
How To Make A Conference Poster For Your Research: 2026 Guide

No comments:
Post a Comment