Every element on the poster should have one inch between it and anything else.
The tricky part is to determine what makes up an “element.” For instance, I would treat the following as single “elements.”
- The title, author credits, and institutional affiliations.
- A heading and the text below it.
- A figure and its caption or legend.
- A column.
- The title and any logo.
- The authors list or institutional affiliations and the text below it.
- The bottom of one section of text and the next heading.
- Every picture or graph, top and bottom, left and right.
- Separate columns.